The need for a plumber will usually come unannounced, and being ready to make a good choice on a plumber is essential to getting your home’s plumbing systems back on the right track. Don’t just pick the first name you see on the Internet or in the yellow pages – take a few minutes to make an educated plumbing decision. There are, unfortunately, many less-than-perfect plumbers out there, and so steering clear of them and heading to an honest professional plumber should be your goal.
These steps will help you navigate your way to a really good plumber:
- Look through the local listings on Best Plumbers®. This site will make it easy to see the important plumbing information you need to make your decision. A really good plumber is likely to have full information available through their website online. Best Plumbers® provides access to their websites in the links provided in their plumbing listings.
- Carefully read the basic information about a plumber. Find out details such as how long they’ve been in the plumbing industry, their level of experience with your type of plumbing issue (some plumbers may focus more on commercial premises, or installation of plumbing in new homes, for example).
- Read the online plumbing reviews. This is where previous customers get to tell you about their experiences with a plumber. A really good plumber should have left a long trail of happy customers. Don’t be alarmed if the odd review is less than 100% praise – it’s impossible to make all the people happy all the time. But just be sure you are comfortable with what people say.
- Check out their social media presence. Not all plumbers will be highly active online, but many will often have a Facebook page or even Twitter account. These can give you an idea of how proactive the plumber is when interacting with customers. A recently updated page can be an indicator they are actively seeking out new business.
- Make an enquiry, either by email or phone, stating your exact needs, and asking for a formal plumbing quote. A reliable plumber will be more than happy to provide you with a no-obligation quote in writing. Make a note of their response time, because this could indicate how responsive they will be should you have a plumbing problem with their work. It should be relatively easy to directly compare the quotes from multiple plumbers – you are, after all, seeking exactly the same work from each plumber. The prices quoted should be transparent and include all fees and taxes. Don’t be tripped up by hidden costs after you hire a plumber!
- If a license to carry out this type of work is needed in your jurisdiction, make sure they have the correct paperwork. This might be a general business license or an industry-specific accreditation. They should also have liability insurance in case something goes wrong with their work. In many areas this is a legal requirement. Because of the nature of plumbing work, a bad installation can prove highly costly for even a simple plumbing mistake, with water damage being extensive. Be sure they’re covered for all possible plumbing disasters.
- If the plumbing company you select is a firm of more than one plumber, ask how many years experience the plumber who will be attending your home has. The range of plumbing experience between plumbers within one plumbing company can be wide.
Once you’ve found a really good plumber, be sure to ask them to explain what they have done, and how they’ve done it. They should be able to tell you what plumbing parts, if any, they are fitted.
After your plumbing task is finished be sure to review the plumber online – not only does this help future potential plumbing customers, but if your review is positive then you will also be rewarding a good plumber for their good honest work.
Also, remember to tell you friends and family to reference Best Plumbers® the next time they are searching for a good plumber.